Having a fleet requires an effective fleet management system run by a dedicated fleet manager. Without any of the two, it would be chaos. So, what does it really mean to have an effective fleet management system? What are the things a company should look into, you ask?
Below are 10 must-have features when looking into acquiring a Fleet Management System:
1. Centralise platform - your fleet management system of choice should have a feature that Intelligently integrates your business systems and fleet data into one centralized database. Migrating data would be an easy breezy action and accessing and revising them with little to no issues.
2. Cloud-based solution - When acquiring a fleet management system, see to it that it has a cloud-base solution which means it can be accessible anytime anywhere via multiple devices over the internet so your team could efficiently manage your drivers, job dispatch, and how the assets are being utilized.
3. Drivers sign-in to vehicles - Each driver will have their own log-in so their jobs are disseminated as per vehicle type, overview of their jobs and deliveries, and being able to see on-going and done jobs per user.
4. Geofencing - A very valuable tool and feature of an effective fleet management system. With the use of a GPS car tracker, a vehicle’s real-time location is visible and creating a virtual boundary for one or more vehicles would be a very useful feature as to not overload the vehicles and drivers with jobs.
5. Idle and speeding report - With GPS car tracker installed in all vehicles, the fleet management system will see the drivers who are idle in real time. Drivers who are moving to slow or going to fast will also be reported back to the manager via system report.
6. Mileage tracking - Being able to see and track the mileage of each vehicle allows your company to cut-down or reduce expenses. Real-time recording of each vehicle allows you later to look into fuel costs and the mileage of each vehicle in the fleet.
7. Mobile application access / communication channel - because of technology nowadays, cloud-based systems can be accessed through mobile applications. An effective fleet management system should have this feature. A dedicated web/mobile app integration which allows continuous communication with the drivers and the customers. This system will also send SMS & Push Notifications of Daily Jobs to Drivers to ensure you don't miss out on tasks or opportunities. Sending jobs directly to the driver's mobile device upon dispatch.
8. Notification reminder - SMS Notifications Reminders to either driver, customer, Fleet managers on estimated arrival & Pick Up Time. An effective fleet management system should allow a fleet manager to communicate directly via SMS, send alert notifications to its drivers and customers, and vice versa.
9. Real-time GPS tracking - Helps to monitor the whole fleet in real-time with a live GPS tracker for car.
10. Route Optimisation - Complete more jobs orders in fewer hours and miles with real-time visibility into vehicle location using live traffic data, and route analytics. Plan ahead with optimized routes for managing delivery services.